To my Republican friends in the First Congressional District, two years ago at our district convention in Grinnell, you elected me to represent you on the RPI State Central Committee. In those elections, there was a slate of candidates that won almost all the seats on the SCC. I was one of the few independent candidates to be elected from any district state across the state.
These two years have been frustrating, the majority faction of the SCC swept all of the elected and appointed committee positions. They replaced every RPI staffer with people from their own faction. Those of us on the outside found ourselves marginalized and ignored. I often learned about what the SCC or party chairman was doing by reading it in the press. I have really struggled with the decision to seek re-election to the SCC. In the end, I have decided to run for re-election.
There is much work to be done. It looks like we will have a largely new State Central Committee, and I think that I can play a role in its success.
If you elect me to represent the First District, I promise:
- I will continue to be an independent voice on the SCC. I am not beholden to any candidate, special interest or faction.
- I will remain neutral and not publicly endorse any candidate in a contested primary.
- I will not use my position for financial gain.
- I will work with you and the 1st District Executive Committee to keep you informed and seek your input on the crucial issues facing the Republican Party of Iowa.
- I will vigorously support every Republican candidate that you choose through the primary process.
I hope to see you on April 26th in Cedar Rapids at the District Convention. If you have questions or comments please feel free to contact me at 319.431.5282 or firstname.lastname@example.org.